Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book #1: Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton

Image from Amazon.com
After much consideration, I’ve decided to start this blog with the board book “Blue Hat, Green Hat” by Sandra Boynton. I discovered this book a couple of years ago while working in the children’s section of a bookstore and have been in love with it ever since. It might be because the book tickles my funny bone, or it might be because my mom used to make me laugh by telling me to put socks on my ears and shoes on my hands. Whatever the reason, it continues to be one of my favorites.

The book features a gang of animals wearing different articles of clothing in different colors. Per the title, the first page features an elephant, a moose, and a bear, wearing hats (blue, green, and red). On their heads, course! The fourth animal on the page is the very confused turkey, who is standing in the hat. “Oops.” The rhyming text is easy to read (and memorize!) and each line ends with the silly turkey, “Oops,” who continues to wear his clothes the wrong way. Pants on his head, socks on his wings, you get the idea. Finally, the turkey gets all his clothes on the right way…only to dive into the swimming pool in his clothes, while the others watch in swimming suits! By the second “Oops!” everyone, kids and adults, will be shouting it aloud. The text is short, which is nice for little ones with short attention spans.


From a storytime point of view, this story has endless possibilities. Not only does it work well for a color or clothing themed storytime, but it can also be made into a flannelboard so that the small board book can be more visible for a larger group.You could also cut out squares of colored paper (red, blue, green, and yellow) to hand out to the kids. Then each time their color is mentioned they have to stand up. You could also read each section and then hold up that article of clothing and put it on like the turkey, asking the kids “Is this how I wear a hat?”


Image from Amazon.com
One last note, I recently found a copy of the book in Spanish at a local used bookstore, “Azul el Sombrero, Verde el Sombrero.” The words are simple and it would be easy to look up the correct pronunciation online, making it a great choice for a bi-lingual storytime. Not only that, but the Spanish turkey says “¡Ah, Caramba!”, which is pretty hard to beat.

Happy New Year! 
-Amy

2 comments:

  1. Did I ever tell you about Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra? Its a book of music with a cd! I own it and its great!

    My mom says to look out for a Manatee book by John Lithgow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Philadelphia Chickens! You did! And I love it! There's also one with a tap dancing rhino on the front, though the name escapes me at the moment.

    And I will definitely keep my eyes open for the manatee book. :)

    ReplyDelete